Common Core State Standards
The 2014-2015 school year was the first year students were tested on the new Common Core State Standards (CCSS), a new set of standards that were designed to prepare students for college level work. CCSS emphasizes critical thinking and problem solving skills and requires children to explain their thought processes. This was a radical change from the previous standards, which focused on memorizing procedures in order to take multiple choice tests. Below are examples of the types of problems on the
In order to address this issue, WIT Academy has changed its format and schedule. We will offer
in depth instruction on important foundational concepts with an emphasis on:
Are You Smarter than A 5th Grader?
Take these tests of 4th and 5th grade international standards and find out!!
Click on subject for test questions that we will be preparing for.
1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
2. Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
4. Model with mathematics.
5. Use appropriate tools strategically.
6. Attend to precision.
7. Look for and make use of structure.
8. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.